Format: MP3 Audio Download
Often billed as "Metal Roofing 101," this course includes technical information but is presented in a common sense fashion that makes the art and science of metal roofing clear, concise and understandable. Topics to be covered include the history of metal roofing, metals and metallic coatings, metallurgy, galvanic weathering and material selection criteria. Also discussed will be fabrication and manufacturing techniques, various seam types and panel profiles in addition to underlayment's, the use and misuse of sealants, seam technologies and the principles of thermal cycling and panel anchorage.? A great metal introduction for beginning and experienced building professionals. About 70% of the course is devoted to principals of design, fabrication, thermal response, and other topics that are applicable to any metal roof in any application; the other 30% is divided equally between steep and low slope material. This session will be presented at all levels.
1. Define material selection criteria for steep and low slope metal roofing including environmental factors, cost, sustainability, metallurgy and corrosive behavior.
2. Recognize different fabrication and manufacturing techniques- advantages and disadvantages.
3. Identify seam types and panel profiles including key differences between hydrostatic and hydrokinetic systems, and use of underlayment's and joint sealants.
4. Grasp rudiments of system design including basics of flashing, sealing, panel anchorage and thermal response